Friday, April 18, 2008

Got Some Extra Time?

Here, my friends, are 120 titles that have been chosen by librarians in Texas for the various "lists" we use in library programs from age 2 through grade 12:
Texas 2x2 Books - ages 2(I say younger)through second grade
Texas Bluebonnet Books - third through fifth grade
Texas Lone Star Books - sixth through eighth grade
Texas TAYSHAS Book - ninth through twelfth grade...This is the only list that isn't annotated yet, but it will be soon...

I can not personally vouch for all of these books, but I will tell you these things:

I will be reading all of the 2x2 and Bluebonnet books for 2008-2009 before the end of the summer. I will certainly get back to you with any standouts or stinkers.

I have enjoyed everything I have read on the Lone Star List in my past two years at middle school, even if I really didn't think I would.

I regularly peruse the TAYSHAS list for my own pleasure reading material. I swear that most young adult literature from this list is better than the adult fiction I've been reading lately. And some so called "adult" books are included on this list. In the past TAYSHAS has led me to some of my all time favorite books for me, such as Stiff by Mary Roach.


Now the ages are only recommendations - the reading and certainly the content levels vary wildly within lists. If you have any questions about specific titles or about a reader you are trying to match with a book, PLEASE ask me - you can comment or e-mail me.

Happy browsing!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the 2x2 list!
I want to find Pip and Squeak.
I saw Dog at the bookstore and wanted it (at least I think it's the same one), but my son wanted another more.